Explainer Video Production: Best Tips for Creating Engaging and Effective Videos
25 April 2023
Explainer video production is an essential skill for businesses and content creators looking to convey complex ideas in a simple, engaging, and visually appealing way. Well-crafted explainer videos can help increase brand awareness, drive website traffic, and boost conversion rates. In this beginner's guide, we'll share the best tips for creating effective and engaging explainer videos, whether you're working on a live-action or animated explainer video production.
Identifying the Purpose of Your Explainer Video
Before diving into explainer video production, it's crucial to identify the purpose of your video. Knowing your video's goal will guide your scriptwriting, visual design, and overall production approach. Consider the following questions to help define your video's purpose:
- What problem or challenge does your product or service solve?
- What key message do you want your audience to take away from the video?
- What action do you want viewers to take after watching the video?
Scriptwriting for Explainer Videos
An effective explainer video starts with a well-written script. The script serves as the foundation for your video and dictates the visuals, voiceover, and pacing. Here are some tips for writing a compelling explainer video script:
- Keep it concise: Aim for a script that is no longer than 90 seconds to ensure your message is clear and easily digestible.
- Use simple language: Avoid jargon and use plain language to make your video accessible to a wide audience.
- Focus on the benefits: Emphasise the benefits of your product or service rather than just listing features.
- Include a clear call-to-action: Encourage viewers to take the desired action, such as visiting your website, signing up for a demo, or making a purchase.
Choosing the Right Style for Your Explainer Video
The visual style of your explainer video plays a significant role in capturing your audience's attention and conveying your message effectively. There are several styles to choose from, including live-action, 2D animation, 3D animation, and whiteboard animation. Consider the following factors when choosing the right style for your explainer video production:
- Budget: Determine your budget to help narrow down the options. Live-action and 3D animation tend to be more expensive than 2D animation and whiteboard videos.
- Target audience: Consider the preferences of your target audience when selecting a style. For example, a tech-savvy audience might appreciate a sleek 3D animation, while a more traditional audience may prefer a live-action video.
- Brand identity: Choose a style that aligns with your brand identity and complements your existing marketing materials.
Creating Visually Engaging Explainer Videos
A visually engaging explainer video keeps your audience's attention and helps them better understand your message. Here are some tips for creating visually appealing explainer videos:
- Use clear and simple visuals: Opt for clean, uncluttered visuals that effectively communicate your message without overwhelming the viewer.
- Incorporate motion: Incorporate motion and animation to create dynamic visuals that keep your audience engaged.
- Maintain visual consistency: Ensure that the colour palette, typography, and design elements are consistent throughout the video to create a cohesive viewing experience.
- Align visuals with the voiceover: Sync the visuals with the voiceover to reinforce the key points and create a seamless narrative.
Selecting the Right Voiceover and Music
The voiceover and music play a crucial role in setting the tone and enhancing the overall impact of your explainer video. Here are some tips for selecting the right voiceover and music:
- Choose a professional voiceover artist: A professional voiceover artist can bring your script to life and create an emotional connection with your audience. Consider the tone, pace, and personality that best suit your brand and message.
- Match the voiceover to your target audience: Select a voiceover artist that resonates with your target audience. For example, if your target audience is primarily young adults, choose a voiceover artist with a youthful and energetic tone.
- Select background music that complements your video: Choose music that enhances the mood and pace of your video without distracting from the voiceover. Make sure the music aligns with your brand identity and target audience preferences.
- Balance audio levels: Ensure that the voiceover and music are balanced, with the voiceover clearly audible over the background music.
Editing and Fine-tuning Your Explainer Video
The final step in explainer video production is editing and fine-tuning your video to create a polished and professional final product. Here are some tips for editing your explainer video:
- Edit for pacing: Trim any unnecessary sections or pauses to maintain a consistent pace and keep your audience engaged.
- Add text and graphics: Incorporate text, graphics, and other visual elements to reinforce key points and enhance the overall visual appeal of your video.
- Apply transitions: Use smooth transitions between scenes to create a seamless viewing experience.
- Review and revise: Watch your video multiple times and make revisions as needed to ensure your message is clear, concise, and visually engaging.
Explainer video production is a powerful tool for businesses and content creators looking to convey complex ideas in a simple and engaging way. By following these best tips, you can create effective and captivating explainer videos that resonate with your audience and help achieve your desired outcomes. Whether you're working on a live-action or animated explainer video production, remember to focus on the purpose, script, visual style, and audio elements to create a professional and impactful final product.